CBAS was established in Beijing in September 2021 as the world's first international scientific research institution to serve the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development with big data and related digital technologies. It focuses on multidisciplinary frontiers of Earth sciences, social sciences, and sustainability science. CBAS conducts research on monitoring and evaluation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with big data and cloud computing and established a SDGs-related Big Data Sharing Platform to offer technical solutions and decision-making support to address major problems related to global sustainable development.
With an aim to promote cutting-edge science and applied research, boosting major scientific and technological output, as well as capacity building for young talents, CBAS launches an Open Research Program (ORP) globally in 2022 to concert efforts from all parties for big data-driven SDGs-related science.
Focusing on CBAS’s major technical infrastructures and key scientific research tasks, the CBAS ORP is committed to attracting and funding domestic and international outstanding scholars to conduct research on the deepen scientific understanding, as well as the monitoring and evaluation of big data-supported SDGs, tackling the bottlenecks in key technologies of the SDGs big data platform, and developing data products.
The CBAS ORP will provide fellowship for project leaders and team members in the form of visiting scholar to accelerate the building of top international team for SDGs-related big data research, forge a sound mechanism for “Talent Development to Facilitate Innovation”, and jointly build capacity for next generation talents of SDGs-related big data research.
1. CBAS Project for Excellent Scientists (CBAS-ESP)
Each project will be led by one outstanding scientist who will build a research team consisting of at least five backbone researchers. The applicant is required to be a full professor or equivalent with prominent academic attainments and international influence. The backbone researchers should have the title of associate professor. Research institutions, universities, and enterprises in both China and around the world are encouraged to establish joint cross-disciplinary research teams.
2. CBAS Project for Young Scientists (CBAS-YSP)
Each project will be led by one young scientist who will build a research team consisting of at least three backbone researchers. The applicant should generally hold the title of associate professor and have published or obtained innovative achievements with international influence. The applicant and the team members should be under the age of 45 by January 1 of the year of application.
Application scope and research topics
In 2022, scientists at home and abroad will be funded by the CBAS ORP to explore in cutting-edge research in the field of sustainability science and key big data technologies for monitoring and evaluation of SDGs goals, targets and indicators, with focuses on the topics including land degradation, food security, global change and human health, biodiversity and ecosystem services, climate change impacts and mitigation, disaster risk reduction, environmental protection and pollution control, smart cities and digital economy, etc. Centering on the 169 specific targets and over 240 indicators of the 17 goals listed in the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (Appendix 1), scientists are encouraged to select targeted goals or specific targets or indicators and set up teams for research on deepening scientific understanding of SDGs, developing innovative SDGs monitoring methods and key technologies for SDGs monitoring and evaluation, and developing SDGs-related data products.
1. Indigenous scientific discoveries (this criteria apply only to CBAS-ESP): new thoughts, theories, discoveries and paradigms of big data for SDGs; and publications in international top-ranking journals.
2. Frontier scientific research on SDGs (this criteria apply only to CBAS-YSP): novel insights of big data for SDGs, optimizing SDGs-related indicator assessment systems, and the synergy and trade-off of indicators; and publications in international journals with high influences.
3. Key technologies and methods: big data-based key technologies and methods of monitoring and evaluation of the goals, targets and indicators.
4. Data products: global and regional data products urgently needed for the monitoring and evaluation of SDGs targets with good quality, and widely used for SDGs assessment and decision-making support.
1) The maximum amount of funding for each CBAS-ESP is RMB 1 million/year.
2) The maximum amount of funding for each CBAS-YSP is RMB 500,000/year.
3) The funding for the CBAS ORP is valid for a term of two years.
4) CBAS provides office space and necessary research facilities during the implementation of the funded projects.
1. The CBAS ORP is open to all researchers at home and abroad.
2. The research topics of the CBAS ORP shall be in line with the targets or indicators of the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in accordance with the provisions of "Application scope and research topics" hereof.
3. Applicants from abroad or Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan of China shall jointly apply for the project with one scientific researcher from Mainland China.
4. The research results of the ORP-funded projects shall be marked with "可持续发展大数据国际研究中心开放研究计划资助" in Chinese and "Supported by the Open Research Program of the International Research Center of Big Data for Sustainable Development Goals, Grant No. CBAS2022ORP**" in English, with representative achievements marked first for paper and monograph publication and application for patents and awards. Meanwhile, representative achievements shall be marked with the "International Research Center of Big Data for Sustainable Development Goals" as the first signatory.
5. The data products generated by the ORP projects shall be released and shared firstly on the CBAS Big Data Sharing Platform.
Writing requirements of the application
1. The application shall be prepared in accordance with the format of the application as specified in Appendix 2 with concise words and reliable information.
2. The application materials shall be printed on A4 paper, double-sided, bound in paperback on the left side, and shall be submitted in addition to an electronic edition.
3. The paper edition of the application materials shall be signed by the applicant and the principal of the supporting institution and stamped with official seals.
Submission and selection
1. Electronic edition of application package (see appendix for format):
1) Main project proposal (Appendix 2)
Please send the electronic edition of the materials to the contact e-mail with the email titled "CBASORP Application-Name- Affiliation - Country".
2. List of appendices
1) Scanned copies of the highest degree and diploma of the applicant.
2) Scanned copies of employment certifications in universities or institutes
3) Scanned copies of the applicant's identity card or passport or other identification documents
4) Scanned copies of the full text of three representative papers published by the applicant as the first author or correspondent author in recent three years
5) Scanned copies of certification materials for important scientific research projects presided over by the applicant in recent three years
6) Scanned copies of science and technology award certificates obtained by the applicant in recent three years
3. The deadline for submission of applications is July 20, 2022 (subject to the date of e-mail) and applications will not be accepted afterwards.
4. A formality examination will be conducted once the application is accepted. Applications that do not conform to the research objectives or support directions of the CBAS ORP or violate relevant regulations will not be accepted.
5. Applications that have passed the formality examination will be evaluated on paper by experts organized by CBAS. Candidate projects that pass the written evaluation will be invited for a defense, the specific time and place of which will be notified separately.
1. Mailing address:
Room A906, International Research Center of Big Data for Sustainable Development, No.9 Dengzhuang South Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100094
phone: Luo Lei or Zhang Zhe +86 10-82178985